#1 2017-11-13 09:33:54

Digger

Difficulties with java

I'm new to running java programs. I'm using Debian but I recently switched from ubuntu. I have ran both the generalsync.jar (command: java -jar generalsync.jar) and the shell script from the terminal and I am having the same problem either way.. a terminal opens up and I get a "JavaEmbeddedFrame" window which is just grey with a small GeneralSync logo in the corner, unclickable. Right clicking nothing. I have a small blacked out notification (which I believe is where the dashboard should be) in the notification panel in Gnome 3.

Unsure what to do.

#2 2017-11-13 17:26:28

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: Difficulties with java

Digger wrote:

a terminal opens up and I get a "JavaEmbeddedFrame" window which is just grey with a small GeneralSync logo in the corner, unclickable. Right clicking nothing. I have a small blacked out notification (which I believe is where the dashboard should be) in the notification panel in Gnome 3.

The "JavaEmbeddedFrame" window is Gnome 3's attempt at displaying GeneralSync's tray icon. Gnome 3 does not provide a real system tray, and the workarounds Gnome uses to fake one don't work with Java. Both OpenJDK and Gnome know about this bug for years, but don't seem to act on it. Sadly, GeneralSync cannot do anything about that.

However, the tray icon issues should not affect GeneralSync's features. Starting GeneralSync again should bring up the dashboard of an already running instance. If you want, you can even disable the tray icon using the parameters

./generalsync --no-tray --daemon

GeneralSync will then run silently in the background without attempting to draw a tray icon. You can then still open the Dashboard by starting GeneralSync again, and other devices will still be able to initiate sync connections as usual.

Regarding the terminal window opening: I assume this occurs only if you start GeneralSync through your file manager. In that case, the file manager is probably configured to show a terminal window whenever it executes a script. Besides changing your file manager's configuration, you could create a launcher for GeneralSync and start through that. Make sure that you do not select "Run in Terminal" when creating the launcher.

Board footer