#1 2020-06-30 11:58:31

ogli08
Member
Registered: 2020-06-24
Posts: 2

Can't create new calendar

Installed GeneralSync on my mobile and on my desktop (Ubuntu 18.04) - so far so easy...

Created a new calendar (which can be found and seems to be synchronisable by my mobile), but in Thunderbird on my desktop the window "create GeneralSync calendar" doesn't disappear and I also don't have this calendar in my Thunderbird :-(

What to do...?!

Last edited by ogli08 (2020-06-30 15:00:11)

#2 2020-06-30 18:36:14

ds
Founder / Developer
From: Freiburg, Germany
Registered: 2016-06-15
Posts: 264

Re: Can't create new calendar

ogli08 wrote:

in Thunderbird on my desktop the window "create GeneralSync calendar" doesn't disappear and I also don't have this calendar in my Thunderbird

I'm unsure which window you refer to. Usually, you should have the option to create a new calendar during the setup process – if you do not change the default settings, this will cause a calendar named "GeneralSync Calendar" to be created and synced between the devices.

You can also create additional calendars in two places: from Thunderbird's new calendar dialog (this option will be removed in the upcoming Thunderbird 78) and from the GeneralSync dashboard / app. Which option did you use to create the calendar?


In general, if you see a calendar in GeneralSync (for example, when double-clicking the GeneralSync icon in your system tray) but not in Thunderbird, try restarting Thunderbird. If that does not help, open Thunderbird's add-on tab ("Menu | Add-ons | Add-ons" or "Menubar | Tools | Add-ons") and check that "GeneralSync Integration" is installed, enabled and at was recently updted (the current version is 1.0.0.4, version and update info are shown when clicking on the add-on's title).

If the add-on is missing or outdated, you can manually install it again. If the add-on's recent version is already installed, you can reset it by going to "Menu | Add-ons | GeneralSync Integration" or "Menubar | Tools | Add-on settings | GeneralSync Integration", and clicking on "Reset connection information". If that has no effect, disable and re-enable the add-on (performing the requested restart in between).

Did that help?

#3 2020-07-03 15:03:55

ogli08
Member
Registered: 2020-06-24
Posts: 2

Re: Can't create new calendar

ds wrote:

Usually, you should have the option to create a new calendar during the setup process – if you do not change the default settings, this will cause a calendar named "GeneralSync Calendar" to be created and synced between the devices.

I can't remember that this option has been showed...
I didn't change default settings, but a calendar named "GeneralSync Calendar" was only created on my mobile
I tried to create a new calendar in Thunderbird (68.8.0 64-Bit) by right clicking, then "new calendar" (as described here: https://doc.generalsync.com/de/guide/integration-thunderbird/) but the process stopped on the desktop without any error message. Calendar was only visible in GeneralSync dashboard and on the mobile.

ds wrote:

try restarting Thunderbird. If that does not help, open Thunderbird's add-on tab ("Menu | Add-ons | Add-ons" or "Menubar | Tools | Add-ons") and check that "GeneralSync Integration" is installed, enabled and at was recently updated

Already done multiple times...

Now I tried to create the new calendar from the GeneralSync dashboard - this works!
On both devices smile

#4 2020-07-03 16:31:31

ds
Founder / Developer
From: Freiburg, Germany
Registered: 2016-06-15
Posts: 264

Re: Can't create new calendar

ogli08 wrote:

I can't remember that this option has been showed...
I didn't change default settings, but a calendar named "GeneralSync Calendar" was only created on my mobile

The option only appears on your first device, so if you started the process on your mobile that is expected – if you then continue with default options that first calendar will get synced to the second device, so you end up with one calendar on two devices after the 'default' setup.

Maybe you accidentally selected the option to manually select which content to sync (in that case, you can opt-out of the calendar being transferred).

ogli08 wrote:

I tried to create a new calendar in Thunderbird (68.8.0 64-Bit) by right clicking, then "new calendar" (as described here: https://doc.generalsync.com/de/guide/integration-thunderbird/) but the process stopped on the desktop without any error message.

Hm, can't reproduce that. But the option will get removed in the upcoming Thunderbird 78 anyway, so I don't think it is necessary to find the issue now.

ogli08 wrote:

Now I tried to create the new calendar from the GeneralSync dashboard - this works!
On both devices smile

Glad to hear you found a solution that worked for you in the end!

Board footer