#1 2020-02-23 11:37:37

SuffolkPunch

[Solved] Nexus 7 and LinuxMint stopped syncing

Hello,

I'm running GeneralSync v 0.9.2.1b and Thunderbird + the add-on GeneralSync Integration v 1.0.0.1 on a Linux Mint 18.3 ('server').

I have successfully established bothway syncing on the server of Thunderbird's  calendar and addressbook with the following PCs:
Win 10 laptop /Thunderbird / GSync v 0.9.2.1b
Linux Mint PC / Thunderbird / GSync v 0.9.2.1b
Moto G5 Android phone / Google Calendar v 2020.02.4 / GSync v 0.9.2.2b

However, today after months of successful b/w syncing of the server with my Nexus 7 / Google Calendar /Gsync
I can no longer set-up syncing between the Nexus 7 and my server.  The Nexus is running GSync v 0.9.2.2b.

So, I un-paired the sync relation between the Nexus and the server on both machines, and then tried to pair then again.

When I generate a pairing code on the Nexus  and enter it correctly on the server's GSync, the server pops-up an error message the first line of which says:
"Pairing attempt failed. Ensure the code has been entered correctly and try again"

Below that text line there is the error message
"Java.net.SocketException: Socket output is shut down."
followed by 10-12 lines of error messages.

When I generate a pair code on the server, and enter it into GSync on the Nexus, and tap 'OK', the nexus displays "Waiting for the other device to  respond", then times out, and reverts to displaying the pair code I just enteed.

I hope this can be fixed!

Last edited by SuffolkPunch (2020-02-24 09:35:54)

#2 2020-02-23 15:18:36

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: [Solved] Nexus 7 and LinuxMint stopped syncing

SuffolkPunch wrote:

I can no longer set-up syncing between the Nexus 7 and my server.  The Nexus is running GSync v 0.9.2.2b.

It very much sounds like there is something on the Nexus 7 that is incompatible with the latest update (0.9.2.*), which changed the way connections are established between devices. I'm certain it can be fixed, but sadly I will need the exact error messages and/or a way to reproduce the problem in order to do so.

For the first part: The relevant error message can be seen in the GeneralSync App on the Nexus 7: first attempt to pair (ideally in both directions: one time by entering the code from the PC, one time by generating a code), then open the configuration and enable "Advanced Options" through the 3-Dot-Menu in the action bar (top-right corner of the screen). Then tap on "Open log" at the bottom of the configuration screen (you may need to scroll down). You should see a list of messages, with at least one long messages containing keywords like "Exception" or "Error" (for each pairing attempt). Take screenshots of that messages and send them to the email address displayed on the contacts page.

If your Nexus 7 has "external" storage accessible from the PC via USB, you can alternatively enable logging to a file before attempting to the two pairs (the option is right besides the "Open log" button in the advanced options), and then send me the log file(s) via email. You can find the log file(s) in the folder "Android/Data/com.generalsync.android/files" within the "external" Storage.

For the second part: There are at least two different devices named "Nexus 7" (released 2012 and 2013), which support a wide range of Android versions (4.1 to 6.0.1). Which exact version of Android are you using?

#3 2020-02-24 03:21:47

ds
Founder / Developer

I tested through the relevant Android versions and finally identified a potential cause: at least some versions of Android 6 contain broken code that can prevent GeneralSync from establishing an encrypted connection. Please install the update to app version 0.9.2.3b and check if that fixes the issue.

#4 2020-02-24 09:34:06

SuffolkPunch

Wow!  How on earth did you home-in correctly on an obscure Android 6 problem, and modify the app and upload it to Google Play in < 24 hours - and on a Sunday too?  I almost feel a little bit guilty that this superb software/support is completely free for non-commercial use.  Seriously, I would happily pay an annual fee to ensure continued support.

To confirm: GeneralSync app v 0.9.2.3b fixed the problem.  Comms from my nexus 7 (released 2013, running Android 6.0.1) to GeneralSync 0.9.2.1b now repaired (pun intended) and syncing bothways!

Vielen Danke!

Martin

p.s. I took a screenshot of part of the GeneralSync v 0.9.2.1b log yesterday before reporting this issue. I can email it to you if you would find it useful?

#5 2020-02-24 14:58:50

ds
Founder / Developer

SuffolkPunch wrote:

I took a screenshot of part of the GeneralSync v 0.9.2.1b log yesterday before reporting this issue. I can email it to you if you would find it useful?

That's no longer necessary, as the issue has been fixed. If you should encounter any other issues in the future, feel free to include them in the initial report / send them immediately, that simplifies finding the issue a lot.

SuffolkPunch wrote:

pay an annual fee to ensure continued support

Paid options will become available once GeneralSync goes out of beta – hopefully soon.

Board footer