#1 2020-01-29 20:43:44

Pilger

Synchronization

Hej ,

I have downloaded both the app for the PC (Windows 10 + Outlook 2019) + the app for Huawei 6 (Android 8.0.0).

PC firewall + Internet security are provided via AVG internet security (active). Windows Defender is inactive.
Generalsync is listed as a trusted app, so all exchange of data should be able to pass the firewall.

Syncing is properly established.
The messaging at both ends indicates same time stamps for the synchronization.
So far so good...

Two issues remain:

1. from Outlook to Android: 
Not all the appointments are synced.
I miss both unique appointments as well as repetitive appointments.
The missing events are spread across the month.

2. from Android to Outlook:
A few appointments made for the purpose of testing and checking, did not get synced.

Can you give a hint were to look to solve the remaining issues?
Thanks  - also for an app which seems to provide a long sought after answer !

Pilger

#2 2020-01-29 21:24:40

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: Synchronization

Thanks for your interest in GeneralSync!

Pilger wrote:

1. from Outlook to Android: 
Not all the appointments are synced.
I miss both unique appointments as well as repetitive appointments.
The missing events are spread across the month.

Do you see the missing appointments in Outlook, if you select only the GeneralSync calendar there? If yes, what happens if you edit one of those appointments (for example by adding something to the title)? Will that change get synced?

If no, what happens if you try to re-create the event in Outlook (for example by copying it from your old calendar)?

Pilger wrote:

2. from Android to Outlook:
A few appointments made for the purpose of testing and checking, did not get synced.

The most common cause would be that you created the appointments in a different calendar. GeneralSync will only sync its own calendars. Your calendar app should permit you to select the calendar to use when entering new appointments (in some calendar apps, the option is hard to find – usually you can tap on the calendar's name somewhere in the new event screen, even if the name does not look like a button).

Are you sure you created the events in the correct calendar?

#3 2020-01-30 17:33:33

Pilger

ds * Yesterday 21:24:40

at nr 1:
Do you see the missing appointments in Outlook, if you select only the GeneralSync calendar there? If yes, what happens if you edit one of those appointments (for example by adding something to the title)? Will that change get synced?

If no, what happens if you try to re-create the event in Outlook (for example by copying it from your old calendar)?

answer from Pilger:
* Yes, they are listed in Outlook - GenSync-calendar. I either made them manually directly in that calendar, or I copied them over from a regular Outlook-calendar.
* Editing them does not make anything happen in the synchronization = they do NOT show up at the Android end .
* I have tried to work with copying again from the regular Outlook-calendar: no syncing.

ds * Yesterday 21:24:40
at nr 2:
Are you sure you created the events in the correct calendar?

answer from Pilger:
I have switched off all the other calendars in the Android -app .
Only the GenSync-calendar shows and that is also the one that holds most of the the synchronized items coming from the GenSync-calendar in Outlook. (from which some do miss out in Android - see question 1).
Yes, I can with conviction confirm that I am working at both ends with the one and ONLY GenSync-calendar.

I apologize for creating headaches...

#4 2020-01-30 21:10:52

ds
Founder / Developer

So, to sum it up (correct me if something is wrong, even if it's a seemingly minor detail):

• You have a single GeneralSync calendar named "GeneralSync Calendar", created during the first run setup. The GeneralSync app and the GeneralSync dashboard (shown after double-clicking GeneralSync's tray icon on the PC) do not show any other calendars.

• After tapping on the calendar in the GeneralSync app, you see the status text "You can view and edit events in this calendar using your regular calendar app." above a box with two green arrows in a circle next to the device name of your PC and the text "Syncing both ways". There are no other paired devices (this is the only entry shown below the status text).

• After selecting the calendar in the GeneralSync dashboard, you can see two green arrows in a circle next to the device name of the Smartphone and the text "Syncing both ways" in the list on the right. There are no other paired devices (this is the only entry shown in the list). Below the list is the text "Unrestricted access".

• Creating or editing events in "GeneralSync Calendar" through Outlook does not affect events visible in Android calendar apps

• Creating or editing events in "GeneralSync Calendar" through an Android calendar app does not affect events visible in Outlook

• There are no error messages or warnings when creating or editing the events. There are also no red warning banners on the main screen of the GeneralSync app.

• When tapping on the PC's device name in the GeneralSync app and selecting the Smartphone's device name you see a timestamp of the last successful sync. This timestamp is incremented on both devices whenever you perform any change on any device (a delay of a few minutes for changes initiated on Android is expected, depending on the calendar app).

• The issue persists even when restarting both the PC and the Smartphone.

If every point above is correct, I'd need more information to identify the issue. If you would be willing to create log files, that would be a great help:

Logging on the Smartphone: To start logging, you need "external" storage in your smartphone (modern devices will always have external storage, some older models might require a SD card to be present). Open the GeneralSync App, tap on the 3 dots in the top-right corner and select "Configuration". Tap on the 3 dots again and enable "Advanced Options", then scroll down. You should now see an option "Create log files". Enable that and leave the configuration via either the back button or the back arrow in the top-left corner. Your phone is now logging all GeneralSync actions until you disable that option again. You can find the log file(s) in the folder "Android/Data/com.generalsync.android/files" within the "external" Storage.

Logging on PC: To start logging, open the dashboard and click on the gear-icon in the logo bar (top-right corner). Expand the category "Troubleshooting" and enable "Create log files". Confirm the dialog with "OK". Your PC is now logging all GeneralSync actions until you disable that option again. You can find the log file(s) with names starting with "GeneralSync-Log" in the folder "%APPDATA%/GeneralSync" (on Windows) or "~/.local/share/GeneralSync" (on Linux).

To log this particular issue, start logging on both devices. Then change something on one device, wait for the sync time to update, change something on the other device and wait again until the sync time updates again. Finally send me the log files via email (my address is listed on the contact page).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

#5 2020-01-31 10:27:26

Pilger

* Your summary is correct and complete.

1. logging started
2. any change in the calendar on the PC slows down the functioning of Outlook for about 5 seconds.
3. syncing is completed. Both test.items do not show up on the respective other device after syncing.
4. logging stopped

4.  I had problem for transferring the logfile from android to the pc because of the general password on the phone.
I needed to connect the phone via USB with the PC.

5. After connecting and transferring the log file, I noticed that the test-apptmt in android was synced into the calendar at the PC.   That may indicate that I need also to start the USB-connection?

The email with the logfiles is on its way.

6. the test-appmt in the PC-calendar was still not synced with the android-cal.

#6 2020-01-31 17:49:07

ds
Founder / Developer

Thanks for the logs! You started logging on Android about 10 Minutes after starting logging on the PC (so I cannot see the reactions on Android to the attempts of the PC to send data after you changed something during the first ~ 10 Minutes). Maybe you did not leave the settings screen to save your changes on Android? Either way, I'm trying to get you as much information out of the logs as possible:

The most important part is probably that the database internally used by the GeneralSync app returns inconsistent data, which prevents GeneralSync from accessing your Android calendars. You thus see outdated information in your calendar apps, even if GeneralSync received (and stored) more current data from other devices.

As the logs do not contain the raw data (for privacy reasons), I can only guess what actually happened. Possible causes could be located either in the GeneralSync app or in your device's implementation of the database (which is provided by the Android operating system / your device manufacturer). I have not yet been able to reproduce the issue on my devices, so I don't have a concrete theory yet. It is possible that the issue can be fixed by deleting the calendar in the GeneralSync app (tap on the calendar, then select "Delete" from the 3-dot-menu) and re-accepting the PC's sync relation (tap on the PC, then tap on "Sync relation available" and select the option to start syncing) to create it again.

The second important bit is that connections from your PC to the smartphone did not work until you started logging on the Smartphone. It seems as if your smartphone was not connected to your network beforehand. Without knowing exactly what changes you made in what order, it is hard to say more. The only thing that is clear is that you did more than one change on each device and that you did not see the last change date update after the first two changes on the PC (contrary to your statement that my summary was correct).

The third interesting part is that your log on the PC begins with Outlook recognizing that you deleted a calendar or address book since the last time Outlook has been started. Was that deletion intentional?

The last relevant bit is that it is possible that there are network issues caused by firewalls on the PC or security-, adblock or battery-saver-apps on the smartphone. The log contains some indications in that direction, but I cannot give you more details without knowing what excactly you did while creating the log files.

Pilger wrote:

5. After connecting and transferring the log file, I noticed that the test-apptmt in android was synced into the calendar at the PC.   That may indicate that I need also to start the USB-connection?

Usually USB has nothing to do with GeneralSync. The only exception would be if you set up USB-Tethering (that is, have a network connection over USB: some older phones support that to share the phone's internet connection with the PC or vice-versa).

The real reason is likely that a regular sync connection succeeded connecting and transferred the change. This is another indication for an issue with firewalls or security apps.

#7 2020-02-04 12:54:10

Pilger

I give up.
I am not a programmer.
My job requires me to focus completely on content instead of the electronic environment  - that last one needs to function instead of complicating. I can take some technological hurdles, but within an overseeable span of work in order to reach a solution that makes it all function without much additional time investment.

I have reached that ultimate point that I can afford in spending time and effort.
Sorry that I have to sign off and de-install the software. It looks promising, but it is too shaky for me at this point.
Perhaps another try in the future with a ready, solid product that has shaken of the experimenting phase and the accompanying bugs.

Board footer