#1 2019-09-09 17:33:45

richtl

Linux Ubuntu 16.04.03 - can't hide dashboard

I just installed generalsync 0.9.0.3b to sync my android device with Thunderbird on my Ubuntu laptop. I installed the linux program first, then the Thunderbird plugin, and then synched the android device. The installation on both devices was trivial and I got them synching quickly and easily.

My only issue is that I can't hide the dashboard screen on the linux machine. According to the documentation, it shouldn't reappear once I've gone through the setup, but it opens every time I start the generalsync process--even when there's no existing generalsync process running. If I close the dashboard window, the process shuts down as well.
Kind regards,

Rich

#2 2019-09-09 23:13:01

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: Linux Ubuntu 16.04.03 - can't hide dashboard

Thanks for your interest in GeneralSync!

richtl wrote:

[...] the dashboard [...] opens every time I start the generalsync process--even when there's no existing generalsync process running. If I close the dashboard window, the process shuts down as well.

This behavior should only occur if you use a window manager without a system tray. If GeneralSync cannot register a tray icon, it keeps the dashboard open permanently.

What window manager are you using?

There are usually two options to fix this issue:

1. Switch to a window manager supporting tray icons (and/or install the add-on required for tray icons).

2. Start GeneralSync with the parameters

/path/to/generalsync --no-tray --daemon

GeneralSync will then start silently in the background, without attempting to register a tray icon. To get the dashboard, you then need to execute GeneralSync again (as there is no tray icon to open the dashboard with).

If you want to change the GeneralSync entry in 'Startup Applications' to contain these parameters, you should disable the automatically created entry and create a separate one. That way, GeneralSync will never overwrite your changes.

#3 2019-09-10 13:41:51

richtl

I'm using Ubuntu/Gnome and I have tray icons for dropbox, etc.

Running generalsync with the --no-tray and --daemon parameters did the trick. I added the launcher to Ubuntu's Startup settings as you suggested.

Thanks!

#4 2019-09-10 16:59:55

ds
Founder / Developer

You're welcome smile

richtl wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu/Gnome and I have tray icons for dropbox, etc.

Gnome does not support traditional tray icons anymore. You can reintroduce them by installing and enabling the extension "Topicons plus", but that can cause some visual glitches to occur.

It is possible that some future versions of GeneralSync will somehow work around this limitation. But for now, your options are either using the extension, keeping the dashboard open or starting with --no-tray --daemon.

Board footer