#1 2019-01-20 22:03:47

donto

thunderbird addon error / windows 7 setup problems

Hey community,
the thunderbird addon isn't working correctly. while clicking on "new calender" in thunderbird calender, i'm getting the response: "secret missing- The application should read it from C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\GeneralSync\local.token" I can choose another Generalsync port instead 7962 in this window. In the named folder there are no general sync files - nowhere else on my computer - although i installed the windows version completly. Moreover the program didn't started after setup. so i have to use the "all devices" stand alone version of generalsync, which is running correctly and sync is working with my adroid device.
any ideas for fixing this problems?
im using Windows 7 with thunderbird 60.4.0

thanks in advance!

Last edited by donto (2019-01-20 22:04:32)

#2 2019-01-20 23:39:59

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: thunderbird addon error / windows 7 setup problems

Thanks for your interest in GeneralSync!

donto wrote:

while clicking on "new calender" in thunderbird calender, i'm getting the response: "secret missing- The application should read it from C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\GeneralSync\local.token"

This message suggests that an important security check failed. There are three possible causes I can think of:

• You installed a tool preventing GeneralSync and/or Thunderbird from accessing necessary files. Common keywords describing such tools include "sandbox", "isolation", "container" and "virtual machine". If you installed anything that contains these keywords in its description, this is the most likely reason for the issue. How to fix it depends on the software you installed and its configuration.

• You execute GeneralSync and Thunderbird from different user accounts. GeneralSync is not intended to sync data between different users on the same system. To fix the issue, simply start GeneralSync and Thunderbird using the same user account.

• Your operating system is damaged or affected by malware. Sadly, fixing these issues is usually not possible without a reinstallation of your operating system.

donto wrote:

In the named folder there are no general sync files - nowhere else on my computer

How did you check that the file exists? By default, Windows will not display the AppData folder, as accidental changes in that folder can have drastic consequences. To access it, you need to explicitly type its path into the address bar or enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives" in Windows Explorer's settings.

donto wrote:

Moreover the program didn't started after setup. so i have to use the "all devices" stand alone version of generalsync, which is running correctly and sync is working with my adroid device.

What does "didn't start" mean? Did nothing happen, or did you get an error message?

What happens if you start GeneralSync using the start menu?

Do you see a GeneralSync icon in your system tray?

#3 2019-01-22 17:38:20

donto

Re: thunderbird addon error / windows 7 setup problems

"You installed a tool preventing GeneralSync and/or Thunderbird from accessing necessary files. Common keywords describing such tools include "sandbox", "isolation", "container" and "virtual machine". If you installed anything that contains these keywords in its description, this is the most likely reason for the issue. How to fix it depends on the software you installed and its configuration."

This has been the reason for an incomplete installation of general sync. I had no icon tray and so on in windows.  After removing the setup.exe from isolation it worked and thus the thunderbird plugin worked too.
thanks!
cheers, donto

Board footer