#1 2017-03-05 19:02:58

Diogo

Documentation for Linux users

I can't find any information for Linux users (Ubuntu 16.04)

#2 2017-03-05 22:09:18

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: Documentation for Linux users

Diogo wrote:

I can't find any information for Linux users (Ubuntu 16.04)

What exactly are you searching for?

There is no platform-specific documentation at the moment. The guide for PC applies to all platforms (including Linux). The screenshots in the guide are made on Windows, but besides minor design differences such as different background colors the application looks the same on on Linux. Besides installation, the video tutorial is also platform-independent.

In contrast to Windows, Linux users don't even need to install GeneralSync: just unzip the download "for all platforms" into a folder of your choice and run "generalsync". If you run generalsync from a terminal, you'll get an error message if the startup fails early on, for example due to Java not being installed. On Ubuntu, you can install Java by runing

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

I'd also recommend to add an autostart entry to start GeneralSync whenever you log in. For Unity there's a pre-installed program called "Startup
Applications", for Ubuntu classic it's located in the main menu as "Preferences|Startup Applications".

While Ubuntu's default setup is most likely compatible (I tested on Xubuntu), you might need to configure your firewall if you manually changed the firewall settings in the past. I covered a complete setup for openSUSE (where the default firewall settings are not compatible with GeneralSync) in another topic.

#3 2017-12-06 20:29:24

morpheus

How do I install this under Debian (MX Linux more precisely)? the "generalsync" file is just plain text and there is no "generalsync" command that can be run in the terminal

#4 2017-12-06 23:02:27

ds
Founder / Developer

morpheus wrote:

How do I install this under Debian (MX Linux more precisely)?

As with any Linux distribution, GeneralSync does not need to get installed. Just extract the zip archive into a folder of your choice (for example ~/Applications/GeneralSync). For automatic updates, the folder must be writable from your regular user account (it is thus recommended to use a folder within your home directory). You then need to install Java, unless it is already installed. On most Debian-based distributions, the following command will install the default version of Java:

sudo apt-get install default-jre

Afterwards, you can start "generalsync" from that folder. Most file managers support double-clicking on it, alternatively you can open a Terminal in that folder and type

./generalsync

Once GeneralSync is configured and working as expected, you might want to register GeneralSync to start automatically whenever you log in. The exact procedure depends on the window manager / desktop environment you use, for Xfce (the default on MX Linux) you find the options for that in the Settings Manager, category "Sessions and startup". Add the "generalsync" file from that folder there (if you type the command, use the full path. Example: "/home/morpheus/Applications/GeneralSync/generalsync").

morpheus wrote:

the "generalsync" file is just plain text and there is no "generalsync" command that can be run in the terminal

It seems as if you extracted the zip archive with a tool not writing file permissions. The "generalsync" text file is a shell script starting GeneralSync and thus needs the execute bit to be set.

To fix file permissions, execute the following command in the folder containing the "generalsync" text file:

chmod a+x generalsync update

Afterwards, the "generalsync" text file should be executable. If your file manager does not support running scripts directly, you should at least be able to start GeneralSync through the terminal as described above.

#5 2018-11-28 15:21:55

armstrap

I have Linux Mint 17.3 and have downloaded the 'All Platforms' version of General Sync. But when I click on the GeneralSync text file I get the following;
#!/bin/sh
# GeneralSync Linux/Unix Launcher Script

local=${0%/*}
if which java > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
  java -jar $local/generalsync.jar $@
  exit 0
fi

echo Could not start GeneralSync due to missing java command.
echo Maybe Java is missing or not properly installed?
exit 1

I have checked my Java status in Terminal and get;
andrew@andrew-PC-1974 ~ $ java -version
java version "1.7.0_181"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.14) (7u181-2.6.14-0ubuntu0.3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.181-b01, mixed mode)
andrew@andrew-PC-1974 ~ $ sudo apt-get install default-jre
[sudo] password for andrew:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
default-jre is already the newest version.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 46 not to upgrade.
andrew@andrew-PC-1974 ~ $ sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package openjdk-8-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'openjdk-8-jre' has no installation candidate
andrew@andrew-PC-1974 ~ $

What should I do?

#6 2018-11-28 18:44:53

ds
Founder / Developer

armstrap wrote:

[...] when I click on the GeneralSync text file I get the following;
#!/bin/sh
# GeneralSync Linux/Unix Launcher Script
[...]

Your file manager seems to open the script with a text editor instead of executing it. You might be able to fix that somewhere in your file manager's settings.

But you don't necessarily have to change your settings, you can also use the same Terminal application you checked the Java version in to start GeneralSync:

cd /path/to/the/folder/you/unzipped/into
./generalsync

Instead of typing the path in the first line (replace it with the actual path you are using!), you might be able to directly open a Terminal in the folder you unzipped into. Many file managers support "open Terminal here" or a similar command in the context menu for folders.

If everything works as expected, continue to set up a startup entry to start "generalsync" automatically whenever you log in. Afterwards, you should never need to execute the script by hand again.

If the terminal command should fail with a permission error, the program you used to unzip the archive does not support Linux-specific features. In that case, open a Terminal and type:

cd /path/to/the/folder/you/unzipped/into
chmod a+x generalsync update

Then either start GeneralSync with ./generalsync or using your file manager.

#7 2019-01-08 16:21:52

KurtW

I'm using ubuntu 18.10 and am trying generalsync for one Laptop and one smartphone quite lucky. I've put generalsync in the autostart and would like to know, how I thus could have generalsync started without the GUI (Kontrollzentrum)

#8 2019-01-08 17:15:45

ds
Founder / Developer

KurtW wrote:

I've put generalsync in the autostart and would like to know, how I thus could have generalsync started without the GUI (Kontrollzentrum)

If the autostart entry causes the dashboard (in the German version: "Kontrollzentrum") to come up, there are two possible causes:

• You have two or more autostart entries. The first one starts GeneralSync, subsequent starts open the dashboard. To fix that, find and remove the additional entries.

• The system tray is not available at the time GeneralSync is started. Without system tray, GeneralSync will start in a different mode where the dashboard is always shown, and GeneralSync will terminate completely if you close the dashboard.

To fix that, you can either delay the start of GeneralSync until the tray is available or alter the autostart entry to look like this:

/path/to/generealsync --daemon --no-tray

GeneralSync will then start without any user interface. To display the dashboard, simply execute GeneralSync again.

You should be able to determine which of the two options happen in your case by checking if you can see a GeneralSync icon in your system tray: if the icon is visible, GeneralSync is started too often. Otherwise, it cannot access the tray at the time it starts up.

#9 2019-01-08 19:20:43

KurtW

hmm, I'm afraid I don't understand you or my English is too bad. I added the suggested '--deamon --no-tray'  to autostart, but changed nothing. The gui was still upcomming, together with the icon in the system tray on the left. Were should I look for a second auto start entry? Without the first auto start entry (or ./generalsync) there is no function of syncing. And if I would try the other option, how could I delay the start??

#10 2019-01-08 20:08:43

ds
Founder / Developer

If you feel more comfortable continuing this discussion in German, we can continue in the German subforum.

KurtW wrote:

I added the suggested '--deamon --no-tray'  to autostart, but changed nothing

You mistyped 'daemon', but that should still prevent the tray icon from being created. It seems as if your change has not been applied properly. I cannot say whether that is due to changing the wrong part of the entry (autostart dialogs can be confusing at times) or due to some failure while saving changes.

Anyways, it seems as if your issue is caused by GeneralSync being started more than once. Else there would be no tray icon in the first place. You can also check this by closing the dashboard – if you don't have to confirm that you really want to close GeneralSync and the tray icon remains visible, GeneralSync was most likely started more than once.

What mechanism did you use to start GeneralSync ("Startup Applications" / "Startprogramme"?) and what did you enter there exactly?

#11 2019-01-08 21:27:17

KurtW

The problem was simply the mistyping. Thanks for your support! Now the process 'generalsync' runs (to see in Systemüberwachung' ) without an Icon in the tray on the left side and without the gui.

Board footer