#1 2018-01-24 01:34:10

HansCan

HTC One M8: Pairing attempt failed

I have trouble pairing Thunderbird/General Sync with my HTC one m8 Android phone General Sync Apk
I am on a local network which uses a linksys router flashed with DD-wrt
I disabled the router fire wall
Pairing attempt failed .
Any suggestions

#2 2018-01-24 05:09:07

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: HTC One M8: Pairing attempt failed

HansCan wrote:

I have trouble pairing Thunderbird/General Sync with my HTC one m8 Android phone

Usually, pairing issues are caused by third party tools blocking the connection. While firewalls and other security tools are common candidates, apps designed to save battery power sometimes also contain features to block network access for other apps.

What operating system do you use on your PC? Do you use any security software (antivirus, firewall, ...) on either PC or Smartphone?

As immediate workaround: if entering the pair code on the PC doesn't work as expected, you can try to enter the pair code on the smartphone. Simply choose "Generate code" on the PC and "Enter other device's code" on the smartphone. If that works, connections are only blocked in one direction: synchronization will still work, but changes made on the PC will take more time to arrive on the smartphone until the issue is resolved.

#3 2018-01-25 00:21:05

HansCan

thank you for your quick reply
1) I am using Windows 10 on my computer
2) disabled both Windows 10 computer firewall and router firewall
3) tried both ways General code on PC and entered code on Android
Still no pairing .
Do you have any other suggestions

#4 2018-01-25 01:46:39

ds
Founder / Developer

HansCan wrote:

Do you have any other suggestions

First, double-check that both PC and smartphone are connected to the very same network. DD-wrt permits you to create multiple, independent "virtual" networks: both devices should be connected to the same one.

On your windows PC, click on the start button or press the windows key, type "cmd" and confirm by pressing enter. A black window with white font will open ("command prompt"). Type the following command, followed by enter:

ipconfig

You'll now see technical information on all network adapters installed in your device. Search for lines starting with "IP Address" and "Subnet Mask" and write down each IP address and the corresponding subnet mask (Example: "IP 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0").

You should also write down the IP address of your smartphone: you can find it in Android's WiFi settings, usually displayed either after tapping on the currently active WiFi network or in the advanced menu accessible through the action bar.

For the most common subnet mask "255.255.255.0", you can now simply compare the IP addresses: if the first three numbers are equal, your devices are most likely in the same network. If your PC has multiple IP addresses, it is sufficient if one matches. If your IP addresses do not match, please post them together with some details on your network setup.

If the IPs match, you can now check whether a direct connection is possible between PC and smartphone. Make sure GeneralSync is running on both devices, open a web browser on your PC and browse to the address "http://x.x.x.x:7962" (replace the x'es with the smartphone's IP address), for example:

http://192.168.1.3:7962

If the smartphone can be reached from your PC, the resulting "website" will contain the words "Human-readable identifier block expected" and some garbage characters. Otherwise, an error message will be shown. Please post the full error message.

Now try the same thing in reverse: open a web browser on your smartphone and enter the "http://x.x.x.x:7962" with the PC's IP address, for example:

http://192.168.1.2:7962

Again, "Human-readable identifier block expected" signals a successful connection. Please post any error messages you might get.

#5 2018-01-25 17:46:43

HansCan

According ,  DD-WRT and both devices (ipconfig and android Wifi settings)
Android is on  192.168.1.146
Hans -PC         192.168.1.130

In PC webpage I entered "192.168.1.146:7962"

The connection has timed out
Resulting webside response is
The server at 192.168.1.146 is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

In Android  web-page I entered "192.168.1.130:7962"
Response:
This side can't be reached
http://192.168.1.130:7962/is unreachable

It seems it has something to do with my port settings in DD-WRT router. I am not sure how to solve that

Last edited by HansCan (2018-01-25 18:14:47)

#6 2018-01-25 20:11:23

ds
Founder / Developer

HansCan wrote:

The server at 192.168.1.146 is taking too long to respond.
[...]
http://192.168.1.130:7962/ is unreachable

Ok, something is definitively wrong with your network configuration. The PC considers the smartphone to be within a reachable network, but doesn't get a response from the smartphone (or said response is blocked). The smartphone does not even consider the PC to be reachable, and does not attempt to get a response.

There are many potential causes for this issue. First of all, check whether you can reach your router from both PC and smartphone (for example, by accessing the web configuration frontend). Also, double-check your DD-WRT configuration:

• Any form of client isolation must be disabled (especially "AP Isolation")

• Firewalls and other access restrictions should be disabled

• Only one network should be used (no guest WLAN, additional VLAN, etc.)

• There should be no access restrictions defined

• There should be no port forwardings

Sadly I cannot give you more precise hints as I don't know all details of your network nor DD-WRT. If the points above don't help to identify the issue, you could try backing up your router settings and resetting the router to factory defaults.

#7 2018-01-25 21:48:29

HansCan

Pairing solved
1) removed Guest
2) recycled router, computer and android

Pairing successful.
Now on to the next step.
Thanks for your help

Last edited by HansCan (2018-01-25 21:49:22)

#8 2018-01-25 22:15:47

HansCan

May I comment on  your Tutorial Video.
I find the Video moves to fast through all the steps, and the person who speaks in it , is sometimes hard to understand.

#9 2018-01-26 00:49:35

ds
Founder / Developer

HansCan wrote:

I find the Video moves to fast through all the steps, and the person who speaks in it , is sometimes hard to understand.

Thanks for the feedback.

The video tries to be helpful for both people wanting to see the software in action and people wanting to follow along, so the pace is intentionally fast. If you want to follow along, you should be able to pause/resume the video anytime by clicking anywhere in the frame or using the pause button.

In many browsers you can also enable subtitles by clicking an icon in the video toolbar. If that option is not available, you can also watch the video on YouTube, which supports subtitles in a wider range of browsers.

Board footer