#1 2018-01-07 15:27:35

hermanv

New kernel - java problem

I am not sure one is connected to the other, but since the kernel  has been updated to 4.14.10, the generalsync throws a java error. The first lines read:
java.net.BindException Address already in use (Bind failed)
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketimpl.bind0(Native Method)
I can send you a screen capture of the full error window if you wish.

#2 2018-01-07 21:45:04

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: New kernel - java problem

hermanv wrote:

java.net.BindException Address already in use (Bind failed)

There are two possible issues causing this error:

• You attempted to start two instances of GeneralSync, binding to the same port. This could for example happen when starting GeneralSync twice in very rapid succession, or when using the --no-sessions startup parameter without previously specifying a non-default port.

• Another program blocks the port. The default port is globally registered for GeneralSync, so this should not happen unless you changed the default settings.

In the first case, one of the two started instances should work as expected. You can just continue to use GeneralSync normally after dismissing the error message. In the second case, try rebooting and/or starting GeneralSync manually (if GeneralSync is configured to start whenever your PC starts).

If the problem occurs again, check your startup applications: maybe GeneralSync is auto-started twice? If not, you can use ss, netstat or lsof to find out which process blocks a particular port (the default port for GeneralSync is 7962).

#3 2018-01-08 10:49:48

hermanv

Re: New kernel - java problem

Looking back, two things were happening at the same time: the kernel update came along, and I has again problems with my user (not completely solved yet, bu that's another matter). After a lot of fiddling yesterday, I did a first cold reboot this morning, and the java problem is gone. I checked nevertheless that when generalsync is not running, no other thingy blocks port 7962, so that is all OK. And I have syncing again. Tx for your help anyway

Board footer