#1 2019-05-21 00:55:31

doylelynch

Network Protection Event

I'm able to pair my Android phone and Computer (with Thunderbird) and create a Calendar and an Address book on my phone and get the request on my computer. I approve it. It's a sync connection, not a one-way one (read only). BUT, I seem to only be able to send contacts and events from my phone to my computer and not from my computer to my phone. I go to my Sync Dashboard and the log has a bunch of "NetworkProtectionEvent" notifications in the log. How do I fix this?

#2 2019-05-21 01:24:52

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: Network Protection Event

doylelynch wrote:

BUT, I seem to only be able to send contacts and events from my phone to my computer and not from my computer to my phone.

Just to make sure I understand your situation correctly: you added both the calendar and the address book to Thunderbird, so you are able to see events / contacts entered on the smartphone – but new contacts and events are not transferred to the Smartphone?

In that case, double-check that you created your new events or contacts in the GeneralSync calendars / address books. Other address books and calendars will not get synced, but you can import any data they contain: import instructions are available in the guide for the Thunderbird Add-on.

If you did indeed use the correct calendar / address book, try changing an event or contact created on the smartphone. Does anything happen on the smartphone after the change?

#3 2019-05-21 02:33:56

doylelynch

I am indeed in the correct phone book and the correct calendar. It syncs from the phone to the computer, but won't sync the other way around.

But, yes, I can change the item in Thunderbird on my computer after it gets it from the phone, but it won't update the change back to my phone. I get the log about network protection event (on my computer) - the phone gives the message about a problem and asks if I should send it to you.

#4 2019-05-21 04:12:24

ds
Founder / Developer

doylelynch wrote:

I get the log about network protection event (on my computer)

These events are not in any way related to a malfunction; they simply state that GeneralSync started or stopped network activities.

doylelynch wrote:

the phone gives the message about a problem and asks if I should send it to you.

It would be great if you could send that error report. The only report that could be related is already a few weeks old (from a Cubot Cheetah 2, is that you?).

doylelynch wrote:

But, yes, I can change the item in Thunderbird on my computer after it gets it from the phone, but it won't update the change back to my phone.

If you open GeneralSync on the phone, and tap on your PC's name in the "Devices" tab, is the last sync time displayed there recent?

If you add a new event on the smartphone, is that new event then shown on the PC (after a few minutes)?

If you change an event on the smartphone that has previously been changed on the PC, is that change transmitted?

#5 2019-05-21 16:30:16

doylelynch

My Calendar:
  Add event on Phone (to My Calendar, the one in General Sync), it adds to Computer
  Add different event on Computer (again, to My Calendar, the one in General Sync), it doesn't update to Phone
  Change first event on Phone, it updates to Computer
My Address Book:
  Add contact on Phone (to My Address Book, the one in General Sync), it adds to Computer
  Change the contact on Computer, it doesn't update to the Phone
  Change contact again on Phone, it won't update change to Phone

The sync time on the Phone is indeed recent.

I've hit "send" on the phone several different times in past 2 days, but, I guess that's not exactly working either!

If network protection event isn't an error, then I'm not seeing any errors on the computer log.

#6 2019-05-21 17:23:52

ds
Founder / Developer

Thanks for the detailed response!

doylelynch wrote:

Change contact again on Phone, it won't update change to Phone

I assume that's a typo, and the changed contact did not appear on the PC – or does the Phone discard your change immediately?

doylelynch wrote:

I've hit "send" on the phone several different times in past 2 days, but, I guess that's not exactly working either!

Can you verify you use the latest version of the GeneralSync App? The crash reporter will discard reports about known bugs in old versions of the app, so that could be a reason why I did not see your sent reports. Otherwise, there could be an antivirus or security app blocking connections to GeneralSync servers.

You can find the version by opening the GeneralSync app, switching to "devices" and tapping on the plus button in the action bar. Then enter "troubleshoot" as pair code, you'll then see version information and a scrollable error log.

If you use the latest version, the troubleshooting screen should display "Packet version: 0.3.3.2b". Also scroll down and check if there are any long messages logged, especially ones containing "Exception", "Error" or a similar keyword associated with something that failed.

As only the last ~50 messages are displayed, try making another change on the PC while the troubleshooting screen is open, then scroll down. You should see new entries appear. Again, relevant entries contain "Exception", "Error" or a similar keyword and are usually quite long. Also check if there is an "ObjectEvent" – if so, the transfer to the Smartphone works and the issue is most likely on the Smartphone. If it is missing, the culprit is most likely somewhere on the PC.

#7 2019-05-21 19:27:24

doylelynch

OY! I had assumed it was updating on the phone, nope, it was on the old version still.

I removed the app (since it wouldn't update), killed all my bad calendars/address books, and reinstalled. And, hallelujah - it's all working as it should now.

Thanks for a great product. A little hard to troubleshoot when there's a problem and it would be nice if you can change the sync/one-way option by editing one. But, still, it provides something very needed for address books & calendars - the ability to sync them easily with your phone.

PS: right on the typo - it also seemed to "delete" those offending contacts (from both devices) that it couldn't sync after changing it on the other device and it failing to sync. Not sure if that's a bonus or a bad thing! ;-)

#8 2019-05-21 21:22:41

ds
Founder / Developer

doylelynch wrote:

OY! I had assumed it was updating on the phone, nope, it was on the old version still.

It is possible that the version you used on the phone is so old that it did not yet support the current format for events and contacts. In theory, installing the update should then automatically rebuild some internal caches and all previously invisible events become visible even without any connection to the PC.

I'm not sure why the update did not install properly in your case, though. The Google Play version should update through Google Play according to your update settings, the apk release should auto-update if a license code is entered in the settings – and manually installing a new apk without uninstalling GeneralSync should always work.

doylelynch wrote:

it would be nice if you can change the sync/one-way option by editing one.

A read-only copy is fundamentally different from a writable copy. This is necessary to permit more than two devices to get synced while still providing appropriate write protection.

Switching from a read-only copy to a writable one thus requires the deletion of the old copy before re-fetching the new copy. I agree that this can seem cumbersome in some situations, but as most users will never ever need to perform that switch I don't think it is reasonable to provide much more assistance there. The new user interface will, however, change how sync relations are managed and displayed – so there are some improvements in that general area scheduled for upcoming versions smile

#9 2019-06-01 16:55:03

armstrap

Hi again,
After months of successful usage, I am suddenly not getting automatic synchronisation between my PC and smartphone. I have not changed any settings, but if I try to click on 'synchronise now' on either the PC or phone, nothing happens, and when I look in the troubleshooting log I see

'SyncConnectionEvent for ....' followed by 'NetworkProtectionEvent'

I only enter events on the PC and let the smartphone pick them up in due course, although I have just tried entering something on the phone calendar and that didn't sync with the PC either.

Do I need to remove and reload the app ( I have the latest 0.3.3.2b version) or am I missing something obvious?
Regards

#10 2019-06-01 17:55:48

ds
Founder / Developer

armstrap wrote:

if I try to click on 'synchronise now' on either the PC or phone, nothing happens

Just to make sure I understand this correctly: When you click "sync now" on any device...

• The "Sync now" button remains enabled on both devices (that is, it is not grayed out at any time, at least not for more than a few milliseconds)

• The "Last Sync" timestamp displayed on both devices does not change

• The "Last Sync" timestamp's displayed time is after the last change that has been successfully synced between the devices, but before the first change that has not yet been transmitted.

If that is true, it is likely that some other software (antivirus, firewall, energy saving tool) or the hardware (mainly a disabled or wrong wlan connection / unplugged lan cable, changed router configuration) are blocking connections on both devices. Did you knowingly change anything on your devices? If not, what Antivirus and Firewall software do you use? Do you use any apps to improve battery life?

#11 2019-06-03 16:43:50

armstrap

Thank you for you typically prompt response.
Your assumptions are all correct, suggesting that something is amiss within my PC or smartphone. My (ZyXEL) router has firewall software incorporated within it and has not been updated, whilst my PC does not have a firewall or anti-virus software (Linux OS). My phone has Avast Mobile Security, which updates its virus definitions regularly, but has not been updated since the last successful sync. I do not have any battery saver app on the phone. Finally, I have not knowingly changed anything on either the PC or the phone, so I am at a loss to understand why they have suddenly stopped syncing....

#12 2019-06-03 19:05:13

ds
Founder / Developer

armstrap wrote:

my PC does not have a firewall or anti-virus software (Linux OS)

Are you certain about the firewall? Most Linux distributions come with a firewall, although the default configuration most commonly does not impact GeneralSync.

I assume you already tried restarting the PC and the phone? Just in case something stuck on a lower level.

If that does not help, verify that both devices are connected to the same network and remember the current time. Force a sync once on both devices. Then immediately open the GeneralSync system log:

• On the PC, open the dashboard, then click on the gear icon in the top right corner, then expand "Troubleshooting". Finally, click the big "Display..." button.

• On Android, go to the "Devices" tab in the GeneralSync app. Tap on the "+" button in the action bar, and select "Enter other device's code". Then enter "troubleshoot" as the other device's code.

On both devices, you should now see a bunch of messages logged after the time you remembered before forcing the sync (you might need to scroll!).

Do you see any long multi-line messages, or anything with keywords like "Error", "Exception", "Fatal" or "Failure"? Critical log entries can also be highlighted by icons. If so, post the relevant messages.

If no messages seem particularly relevant (no icons, no mention of the keywords): what kind of messages are displayed? You should see at least two SyncConnectionEvents with the same long string of characters and a couple of NetworkProtectionEvents. Do you see those? Is there anything else?

#13 2019-06-03 19:59:33

armstrap

Success! I thought I had tried turning both phone and PC off and on again, but perhaps I only re-booted the PC - anyway, this time it worked.
So, sorry to have troubled you but many thanks again for your help.

Board footer