#1 2018-10-15 13:12:39

hermanv

Generalsync dashboard and vncserver

I have on my Mageia6 desktop PC also installed vncserver which listens on port 5901.
When I start vncserver from the CLI (as root, not as the normal user running the desktop!!), the generalsync dashboard pops up with the calendar settings of the normal user. At first sight it does not seem to disturb anything, but I thought port 5901 is not involved in the working of generalsync????

#2 2018-10-15 18:24:32

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: Generalsync dashboard and vncserver

hermanv wrote:

When I start vncserver from the CLI (as root, not as the normal user running the desktop!!), the generalsync dashboard pops up with the calendar settings of the normal user.

In general, the dashboard is opened whenever you start GeneralSync with access to your home folder. It is very unlikely to trigger this operation by an accidental networking operation (a simple connection to a specific port is not sufficient to open the dashboard).

I'm not sure how vncserver operates and if/how you registered GeneralSync to start automatically. It seems plausible that vncserver opens a new session for your user account, and in the process of doing that, attempts to start GeneralSync again. Try to disable the automatic start of GeneralSync and try again: does the problem persist? If not, you might want to consider a different method to automatically start GeneralSync or check vncserver's configuration regarding session management.

hermanv wrote:

I thought port 5901 is not involved in the working of generalsync?

Unless you changed the port in the configuration, GeneralSync listens on 7962 and uses ephemeral ports for outgoing connections. It is thus unlikely that the port has anything to do with this issue.

Board footer