#1 2018-08-10 17:54:06

Lech_

calendar syncing does not work

I installed GeneralSync on an Android phone (v. 6.0.1) and on a Linux box (Fedora 28) with Thunderbird/Lightning. Pairing went OK - exactly as explained in the video, but I cannot get syncing. On Android, I tried two calendars: Samsung's S Calendar and SolCalendar.

#2 2018-08-10 18:44:02

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: calendar syncing does not work

Lech_ wrote:

I installed GeneralSync on an Android phone (v. 6.0.1) and on a Linux box (Fedora 28) with Thunderbird/Lightning. Pairing went OK - exactly as explained in the video, but I cannot get syncing. On Android, I tried two calendars: Samsung's S Calendar and SolCalendar.

Did you follow the tutorial video step-by-step (including the creation of an event that is synced to the smartphone)?

Without more information what you did, I'd guess that your events are in the wrong calendar. When creating a new event, you can select which calendar shall be used. GeneralSync will only sync events within the calendars managed by GeneralSync – so make sure you select the correct calendar.

If you want to sync existing events, you need to import them: on Android, the option is available after touching the calendar in the dashboard (the first screen that is shown when opening the GeneralSync app), through the 3-dot-menu button in the action bar. In Thunderbird, you can export your existing calendar using "Events and Tasks|Export Calendar..." from the menu, then re-import it using "Events and Tasks|Import Calendar...". Both approaches are explained in more detail in the corresponding guides:

#3 2018-08-11 08:19:00

Lech_

Thank you very much. I might have been confused with the terminology: "calendar" might be either an app, and a dataset. After I performed an import on the Android, I got some synchronization working between my prior app, the SolCalendar, and the GeneralSync calendar handled by T-Lightning on the Linux machine. The SolCalendar is generating sync events on its own, so I am not sure at the moment how this process is accomplished.

I've been struggling with these issues after setting a Fedora 28 on my desktop; I still have Fedora 20 on my laptop, and I had a CalDAV server, the Baikal running there. But, on F28, it turned out that due some obsolete PHP function call in Baikal which is no longer supported in php8, this way become impossible - at least for the moment. Then I tried several other options: OwnCloud 9.1 and 10.0 - where after getting the stuff to work it turned out that I could not enable/install the calendar functionality which was 'temporarily unavailable due to intensive development' and the installation controls would not show up in the menus; then tried Radicale, which was much simpler to install and even worked as a CalDAV backend to T-Lightning, but was accessible through a localhost address only (despite trying all the described variants) . So, I hope that the GeneralSync will keep working and will remain my preferred solution.

At this point, I have two remaining questions:

- I have set the Samsung's S Calendar as a default in  GeneralSync on Android. While I see events imported from the SolCalendar in it, it does not seem to exchange with T-Lightning. How do I change the "default calendar"?

- I am using two different networks at my home and at my office. At home, the Android is mainly on WiFi - no problem, but at the office the pattern is more complicated, as we are using a firewalled LAN with no wifi inside, and a public wifi from a router outside the firewall. Your advice - buy a wifi hub and place inside, or there is a simpler solution?

Thank you very much for your attention,

Lech

#4 2018-08-11 19:01:25

ds
Founder / Developer

Lech_ wrote:

The SolCalendar is generating sync events on its own, so I am not sure at the moment how this process is accomplished.

SolCalendar seems to be abandoned or unavailable in Germany. I cannot find it in Google Play, and the Play-Store-Links I found are dead. As I cannot install the App, I can't really help you with that. However, I'd assume that SolCalendar permits you to configure syncing somewhere in its preferences.

Lech_ wrote:

I have set the Samsung's S Calendar as a default in  GeneralSync on Android. While I see events imported from the SolCalendar in it, it does not seem to exchange with T-Lightning. How do I change the "default calendar"?

There is no "default calendar", at least in most calendar apps I used.

When viewing the calendar, you usually see events of all calendars in a single view. That means that after importing, you might see events twice. Fixing that is simple: you can specify which calendars should be displayed, just hide the old calendar there. The exact position of that option varies between calendar apps, usually it's in the action bar (including the 3-dot-Menu button) or in the calendar app's settings.

When you edit an event, your changes are saved in the calendar the event is currently in. When creating a new event, you can select which calendar to use (usually somewhere at the top of the screen, but the design changes between versions). Most calendar apps will remember your last choice here, is that what you mean by 'default'?

Lech_ wrote:

[...], we are using a firewalled LAN with no wifi inside, and a public wifi from a router outside the firewall. Your advice - buy a wifi hub and place inside, or there is a simpler solution?

There are basically three options for this kind of setup:

1. Permit GeneralSync traffic through the firewall

For regular GeneralSync usage, you need to permit the following connections in both directions:

• UDP broadcasts (to UDP port 7962)

• UDP unicast as reply to a broadcast (from UDP port 7962 to a local ephemeral port)

• TCP between the devices (to TCP port 7962)

2. Create a new, trusted network connecting both your PC and your Smartphone

You could do this with new hardware as you proposed, but there are alternatives: you could create a VPN (virtual private network), which is basically a software "simulating" both devices being in the same network, without firewall in-between. For that, you need a VPN server that is reachable from both WLAN and LAN.

Besides the VPN, some routers support multiple WLANs with different firewall settings. If your router supports that, that might be an even cleaner solution (as there is no new server involved, and any connection remains local).

3. Use a computer that is reachable from both sides (WLAN and LAN) as synchronization endpoint

GeneralSync can be configured to not search a peer in the same network but to directly connect to a hostname instead. That way, you can sync through the internet or complex networks. I currently do not recommend this option for regular users, though, as there are some caveats when setting up hostnames.

A forth alternative might become available in the long run: automatic synchronization through the internet is a commonly requested feature.

#5 2018-08-14 10:43:33

Lech_

> SolCalendar seems to be abandoned or unavailable in Germany. I cannot find it in Google Play, and the Play-Store-Links I found are dead. As I cannot install the App, I can't really help you with that. However, I'd assume that SolCalendar permits you to configure syncing somewhere in its preferences.

Yes, it seems to be abandonded (at least, not present at G-P any more). However, I have found a  copy at https://solcalendar.en.uptodown.com/android, this is slightly newer version (1.5.13) that the one I am using (1.5.11). I have downloaded the apk, so I can send it to you if you give me a link for uploading, e-mail address etc - if you wish. Anyway - yes, the SolCalendar permits syncing with different services, either clouds or an own CalDAV server (which is the reason I chosen it), both in automatic/periodic mode and manual.   

> There is no "default calendar", at least in most calendar apps I used.

I meant the default in GeneralSync. On its first use, GeneralSync asks for setting the default calendar and there seems to be no easy way to change this initial choice.

> There are basically three options for this kind of setup:

Thank you for your suggestions, I  will try them.

#6 2018-08-14 16:15:51

ds
Founder / Developer

Lech_ wrote:

However, I have found a  copy

At least the version you linked permits access to any calendar without syncing. Simply disabling syncing should thus be sufficient. If you imported events from an existing calendar, you might want to hide the 'original' calendar, though. That option is located at Menu (three bars in the top-left corner of the calendar view) -> Options (cog in the top-right corner) -> 'Display Calendars' (the first option below the 'Calendars' heading, the actual text might differ as I tested on a German device).

That being said, switching to GeneralSync might be a good time to switch the calendar app you use (as SolCalendar seems to be abandoned).

Lech_ wrote:

I meant the default in GeneralSync. On its first use, GeneralSync asks for setting the default calendar and there seems to be no easy way to change this initial choice.

GeneralSync doesn't have any concept of 'default calendar'. Maybe you mean Android's default app to view calendars?

Android has a concept of 'default' apps, which are opened whenever you want to view your calendar / contacts from another app. If you haven't set a calendar app to use as default, Android (not GeneralSync!) will ask you which calendar app to use – and provides the option to set this app as default. You can change your selection in the 'Apps' section of Android's system settings: tap on the app you selected as default in the past, and scroll down to 'Launch by default'. In that section, tap on 'clear defaults'.

Is that what your searched for? Or is there some other 'default' you want to change?

Edit / Note: I moved this topic to 'Global Helpdesk' as it is not about a particular bug in GeneralSync. The forum 'Suggestions & Bug reports' is for specific bug reports or feature ideas only.

Last edited by ds (2018-08-14 16:20:37)

Board footer