#1 2017-12-12 14:03:22

hermanv

Thunderbird: malformed xml: unknown application-id

Running Mageia6 64-bit with Plasma as desktop.
Due to sound problems in Plasma, I had to backup my /home/<user>, delete the user from the system, which includes deleting all its files in /home, make sure no files pertaining to that user were left in /tmp.
Then I added the user again (choosing same name and id-number) and bit by bit copy the folders from the backup again. One of those being the .thunderbird folder.
But when I now want to edit an event in the calendar , I get the error mentioned in the title above. I have been looking for any XML file. I find following in the prefs.js file:
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.X-GENERALSYNC-CONFLICTS", "{}");
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.cache.enabled", false);
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.calendar-main-default", true);
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.calendar-main-in-composite", true);
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.color", "#a8c2e1");
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.imip.identity.key", "");
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.name", "hermans");
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.type", "generalsync");
user_pref("calendar.registry.f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e.uri", "generalsync:Calendar.271798a5-3c2e-4e8e-9c2b-8a1ccb417472");
and
user_pref("extensions.enabledAddons", "%7B3ed8cc52-86fc-4613-9026-c1ef969da4c3%7D:2.8.0.4,sogo-integrator%40inverse.ca:17.0.6,generalsync-thunderbird%40generalsync.com:0.2.1.4b,%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D:5.4,%7B972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd%7D:52.5.0");
user_pref("extensions.generalsync.appId", "e9add209-7acc-4321-ab8b-286d1fe0c25e");
user_pref("extensions.generalsync.lightning.calendars", "{\"Calendar.271798a5-3c2e-4e8e-9c2b-8a1ccb417472\":\"f2e208e3-7a9a-4dcc-8ea8-062f58dceb6e\"}");
and
user_pref("extensions.xpiState", "{\"app-profile\":{\"{3ed8cc52-86fc-4613-9026-c1ef969da4c3}\":{\"d\":\"/home/herman/.thunderbird/rf6kawiv.default/extensions/{3ed8cc52-86fc-4613-9026-c1ef969da4c3}.xpi\",\"e\":true,\"v\":\"2.8.0.4\",\"st\":1385210053000},\"{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\":{\"d\":\"/home/herman/.thunderbird/rf6kawiv.default/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\",\"e\":true,\"v\":\"5.4\",\"st\":1494525535000,\"mt\":1494525534000},\"generalsync-thunderbird@generalsync.com\":{\"d\":\"/home/herman/.thunderbird/rf6kawiv.default/extensions/generalsync-thunderbird@generalsync.com.xpi\",\"e\":true,\"v\":\"0.2.1.4b\",\"st\":1487320734000},\"nl-NL@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org\":{\"d\":\"/home/herman/.thunderbird/rf6kawiv.default/extensions/nl-NL@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org\",\"e\":true,\"v\":\"3.1.1\",\"st\":1403862007000,\"mt\":1358200370000},\"sogo-integrator@inverse.ca\":{\"d\":\"/home/herman/.thunderbird/rf6kawiv.default/extensions/sogo-integrator@inverse.ca.xpi\",\"e\":true,\"v\":\"17.0.6\",\"st\":1402145953000}},\"app-global\":{\"{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}\":{\"d\":\"/usr/lib64/thunderbird-52.5.0/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi\",\"e\":true,\"v\":\"52.5.0\",\"st\":1511776671000}},\"app-system-share\":{\"langpack-en-GB@thunderbird.mozilla.org\":{\"d\":\"/usr/share/mozilla/extensions/{3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}/langpack-en-GB@thunderbird.mozilla.org.xpi\",\"e\":true,\"v\":\"52.5.0\",\"st\":1511773852000}},\"app-system-local\":{\"{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\":{\"d\":\"/usr/lib64/mozilla/extensions/{3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}\",\"e\":false,\"v\":\"5.4.1\",\"st\":1455784659000,\"mt\":1262304000000}}}");

Can that shed any light on this problem???

#2 2017-12-12 16:18:16

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: Thunderbird: malformed xml: unknown application-id

hermanv wrote:

I had to backup my /home/<user>, delete the user from the system, which includes deleting all its files in /home, make sure no files pertaining to that user were left in /tmp.
Then I added the user again (choosing same name and id-number) and bit by bit copy the folders from the backup again. One of those being the .thunderbird folder.
But when I now want to edit an event in the calendar , I get the error mentioned in the title above.

It sounds as if you restored your Thunderbird profile, but not your GeneralSync data folder (usually ~/.local/share/GeneralSync). The issue can either be solved by restoring the GeneralSync data folder while GeneralSync is not running or by resetting the connection between Thunderbird and GeneralSync.

Note that restoring the backup will restore previous sync relations and pairings; if you paired your devices with the new installation and removed pairings with the old installation, you need to re-pair after the restore (as your PC will use the identity of the old installation, for which pairings were removed).

To reset the connection, remove all GeneralSync-managed content from Thunderbird and open the add-on tab (for example via Menu|Add-ons or Tools|Add-ons in the menu bar). Search for "GeneralSync Integration" in the list of installed Add-ons and click on "Preferences" in its row. Click on "Reset connection information" to perform the reset, then re-add your calendars and address books.

#3 2017-12-16 17:08:27

hermanv

Indeed I was not aware of the Generalsync folder, so I tried to re-instate the connection, by deleting the calendar and the pairing etc.... and redoing the configuration.
But there is still a problem, nothing comes out and worse: on trying to synchronize the whole calendar info on my smartphone was completely nullified. I found two things:
1. Originally the generalsync did start when I logged in, but now there is no process now. Did I ommit something??
2. When I open the dashboard - Configuration, I see an error log, but no way I can copy the text. Can I find the file somewhere?

#4 2017-12-16 17:55:41

ds
Founder / Developer

hermanv wrote:

1. Originally the generalsync did start when I logged in, but now there is no process now. Did I ommit something?

You most likely didn't restore your startup application configuration, so you'd need to re-create an entry for GeneralSync (in the same way as you did when setting up GeneralSync initially) or restore it from a backup. Many window managers and distributions store that information in ~/.config/autostart/, so that's probably a good starting point for the restore.

hermanv wrote:

2. When I open the dashboard - Configuration, I see an error log, but no way I can copy the text. Can I find the file somewhere?

The log is currently held in memory only.
If you want, I can send you a debug build with more verbose logging to console (for that, just write me a short email), so you could pipe the log into a file? Just write me a short email if you're interested in that.

Either way, it seems as if something went terribly wrong while restoring your backup and/or while you tried to re-establish the pairings. For example, it is possible that you deleted your calendar on both devices (on the PC by not restoring the data folder, and on the smartphone by actively deleting the calendar through the user interface), then synced a newly created calendar without content.

I'd thus recommend to start from scratch: clear all pairings on all devices, then choose a device that has a recent version of all contacts and events you want to keep (if there is no such device, you can now restore the backup of the GeneralSync data folder to get one). On all other devices, remove any GeneralSync-ed content. Then re-create all pairings and sync relations.

#5 2017-12-17 11:37:58

hermanv

What I did:
1. On linux desktop, restored autostart file from backup, logged user out and logged in again. Now indeed the process is running.
2. On linux desktop deleted contents (one calendar) and unpaired smartphone (android).
3. On smartphone, deleted contents and unpaired desktop.
4. On desktop: added device, choose to generate code. On smartphone, add device, enter desktop code, got confirmation of pairing
5. On desktop (has calendar on Thunderbird with generalsync extension), add contents, type name of calendar, OK.
6. on smartphone, create contents, type name of calendar, get prompt in messages to create end sync, confirm.
Result: calendar on smartphone remains empty.
I checked the log on the desktop and find events, but each time I start a sync, I get in the log at the start "Network protection event" (3 x), then "Sync connection event", then "Device event (creation)", then different "Device Metaevent", then "......Sincofferevent", then "DeviceMetaEvent on last sync" then "Sync connection event" and one "Network protection event".
In my firewall I have the rule: ACCEPT    net    fw    udp    32768:60999    7962
and
ACCEPT    net    fw    udp    7962   
That hasn't changed since ?????.
Am I right in reading those events that generalsync offers (or starts doing it) contents to the smartphone, but then ???
I switched off the firewall, and then noticed (didn't check before) that both the desktop (waiting for confirmation on the phone) and the smartphone show the status as "pending", and I don't get any further.
When all look at the smartphone on device: I see the calendar "available" and when I tick it I get "the device <ddektop> will get access to the newly created content (remark: it is already there) and i can tick 'Create & sync". But if I do that, I end up with two contents with the same name. And that doesn't work either. Both get active status, but no info comes over either way.

#6 2017-12-17 15:31:57

ds
Founder / Developer

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions of your problem.

hermanv wrote:

5. On desktop (has calendar on Thunderbird with generalsync extension), add contents, type name of calendar, OK.

Just to make sure: you created a new GeneralSync-calendar in Thunderbird after you deleted the old one in the GeneralSync dashboard, correct? You can verify that a calendar is indeed managed by GeneralSync by opening the calendar tab and double-clicking on a calendar in the list on the left. If the calendar is indeed set up correctly, you'll then see that the "Address" field starts with "generalsync:Calendar.". Also make sure that the calendar does not have a yellow triangle sign besides it, and that the imported data is indeed part of the same calendar (for example by assigning an unique color to the GeneralSync calendar, and verifying that the events change accordingly).

hermanv wrote:

6. on smartphone, create contents, type name of calendar, get prompt in messages to create end sync, confirm.
Result: calendar on smartphone remains empty.

You created a second calendar on the Smartphone (which happens to have the same name). The new calendar is empty, as all newly created calendars start empty. I don't see any issue here, but guess that you didn't want to do what you did. If you wish to sync the calendar data from PC, you must add a new sync relation on the PC to share the calendar with the smartphone.

hermanv wrote:

I checked the log on the desktop and find events, but each time I start a sync, I get in the log at the start "Network protection event" (3 x), then "Sync connection event", then "Device event (creation)", then different "Device Metaevent", then "......Sincofferevent", then "DeviceMetaEvent on last sync" then "Sync connection event" and one "Network protection event".

Sounds like a perfectly sound connection. The sync offer event is part of every successful sync operation, and triggered whenever the list of available content on another device has been refreshed.

hermanv wrote:

I switched off the firewall, and then noticed (didn't check before) that both the desktop (waiting for confirmation on the phone) and the smartphone show the status as "pending", and I don't get any further.

If you are stuck with pending sync relations, have a look at the video tutorial or the sync relation chapter in the guide. Short version: until you confirm a sync relation on the other device, no content is transferred.

hermanv wrote:

But if I do that, I end up with two contents with the same name.

As pointed out above, in your case there are at least two calendars (one created on the smartphone and one created on the PC), so the duplicate calendar creation is correct (although not what you intended).

hermanv wrote:

And that doesn't work either. Both get active status, but no info comes over either way.

If by "both" you mean that both devices now display one sync relation for each calendar, both being "active", it seems as if either the import in Thunderbird didn't work as expected (see above) or as if you disabled the "sync" option in Android's settings (see FAQ: I disabled "sync" in Android's settings. Why doesn't GeneralSync work?).

#7 2017-12-18 09:49:56

hermanv

Your first remark hit the nail. What I had was a calendar "local" to Thunderbird. I exported the data, deleted the calender in Thunderbird, created a new one with the option to generalsync, then imported the saved ics file, and did the pairing and syncing exercise over. Success!!!!
The only niggle is that of the hundreds of events imported, 57 were rejected in the import process. But that might be more an inconvenience than a big problem.
Tx again for your support.

#8 2017-12-18 10:40:43

hermanv

I found out that the events omitted in the import were all repeat events. Is the import into a generalsync calendar handled by the generalsync extension or by the standard Thunderbird facility. In the latter case I will file a bug report with Thunderbird.

#9 2017-12-18 15:39:01

ds
Founder / Developer

hermanv wrote:

I found out that the events omitted in the import were all repeat events. Is the import into a generalsync calendar handled by the generalsync extension or by the standard Thunderbird facility.

The import is driven by Thunderbird code, but some parts are handled by GeneralSync. You could try to import into a local Thunderbird calendar: if that doesn't work, the issue is caused by Thunderbird. Else, the issue might either be a bug in the GeneralSync extension or a bug in Thunderbird code affecting only calendars with specific capabilities.

If the import into a local Thunderbird calendar does work: could you send me an iCal file (*.ics) containing one of the problematic events? To create such a file, simply create a copy of the file you're importing from and open it in a text editor. Then remove all but one of the problematic events. Each event starts with the line

BEGIN:VEVENT

and ends with the line

END:VEVENT

You can also replace the event's content (title, categories, etc) by some random text. Afterwards, import the file once to verify the bug is still triggered. Thank you!

#10 2017-12-19 15:09:05

hermanv

The import into a local  Thunderbird calendar is OK. The offending .ics file is +13.000 lines in kwrite. It will take some time to filter it out. But I think it would be not so difficult to make a sample file from scratch:
Make a new calendar, create a few events that repeat weekly for a few months, then delete a few individual events from the series. Export that calendar to an ics file and import it to a general sync calendar.
I will try to do it, but I do not want to experiment on my "production" desktop. I'll have to configure a setup on an testing environment, that will take me a while.

#11 2017-12-19 16:13:19

ds
Founder / Developer

hermanv wrote:

Make a new calendar, create a few events that repeat weekly for a few months, then delete a few individual events from the series. Export that calendar to an ics file and import it to a general sync calendar.

I tried that, but it imports fine for me. Both deleted and changed repetition instances work as expected.

hermanv wrote:

The import into a local  Thunderbird calendar is OK. The offending .ics file is +13.000 lines in kwrite. It will take some time to filter it out.

You should not need to read through the whole file, just search for an affected event's title, then delete anything from the first "BEGIN:VEVENT" in the file to the last "BEGIN:VEVENT" before the affected element's title. In a similar fashion, remove everything after the last "END:VEVENT" of the affected event. Unless you changed individual instances of a repetition series, this is the first "END:VEVENT" after the title you found. Finally, add a new last line: "END:VCALENDAR". The whole process should only take a few minutes.

Alternatively, import the file into a new, local Thunderbird calendar and delete all but one of the affected events. Then re-export that calendar. You can use the list of events (Menu|Events and Tasks|Find events) to quickly mass-delete other events. Be sure not to accidentally delete events in other calendars (for example by unchecking them, or by performing the whole process in a separate profile, see below).

hermanv wrote:

I will try to do it, but I do not want to experiment on my "production" desktop. I'll have to configure a setup on an testing environment, that will take me a while.

If you start Thunderbird with the "-p" command line flag, you can create and use a different "profile", which is basically a separate Thunderbird instance (without shared Thunderbird-specific data, but on the same Linux account).

#12 2017-12-22 12:37:40

hermanv

I manually edited the is file to retain only repeating events, but this file imported OK. While editing I noticed that the original file had somewhere in the middle of it a blank line, so I inserted such in the test file, but that again was imported OK.
So the only file I have that causes the problem is the full export. Which is 400 kb. If you want to pursue this issue,  I can send it over. But to me it is not a big or urgent problem.

#13 2017-12-22 18:16:02

ds
Founder / Developer

hermanv wrote:

So the only file I have that causes the problem is the full export. Which is 400 kb. If you want to pursue this issue,  I can send it over.

I proposed editing the file mainly to reduce the amount of personal data involved. If you're comfortable sending the whole thing, that would be great.

Thanks!

Board footer