#1 2017-01-01 19:07:39

N.Ergo

No sync

Have installed the App on an Android 6.0 phone and the software on a Windows 10 PC. Have managed to connect the PC and the phone. Want to sync my Thunderbird Adressbuch (Contacts) with the contacts on my phone. Both parties say "sync is active", but no contact data are indeed exchanged. I wonder whether I might have taken improper names for the contacts? So far I picked the Name "Kontakte" on both PC and phone. Is that correct? Or what names should I use? In the documentation I find nothing about how you have to pick the names of the adress books to be synced.

N.Ergo

#2 2017-01-01 20:55:03

ds
Founder / Developer

Re: No sync

Thank you for participating in the GeneralSync beta!

N.Ergo wrote:

Both parties say "sync is active", but no contact data are indeed exchanged.

How did you create the address book in Thunderbird? The correct option is "File|New|GeneralSync Address Book..." in Thunderbird's address book window (German: "Datei|Neu|GeneralSync-Adressbuch..."). You should then be asked to select an address book existing on GeneralSync.

If you did that, can you verify that you are running the latest version of the Thunderbird integration add-on (0.2.1.2b), GeneralSync for PC (0.1.3.2b) and GeneralSync for Android (0.2.2.1b)? Does the "sync is active" appear for the specific address book you're trying to sync?

Note that all address books are initially empty; you need to either add or import contacts before anything is synced. GeneralSync will never access data without explicit user consent.

N.Ergo wrote:

I wonder whether I might have taken improper names for the contacts? So far I picked the Name "Kontakte" on both PC and phone.

GeneralSync doesn't require any specific naming conventions. "Kontakte" is fine. However, you should not need to enter the name on both PC and Phone; when establishing a new sync relation the name should be automatically set (but can get changed afterwards).

#3 2017-01-01 23:49:29

N.Ergo

Thanks - that was the clue I had missed. You have to create a new address book for GeneralSync and then copy the contacts into this. I did that now, and it worked.

#4 2017-01-06 15:29:53

N.Ergo

Meanwhile I have successfully created and filled a GeneralSync Adressbook on Thunderbird and managed to sync this with my Android 6.0 Smartphone. If I add a contact on the PC, it is synced into the phone. The other way - from phone to PC - however does not work. Even though on the PC it shows the sync connection "bidirectionally active". What can I do?

With this question, I have a suggestion: It would be nice to see, if and when the sync process is working (rotating symbol or the like). Currently you ask yourself whether the sync is working. Perhaps one could also see how many (maybe even: which) contact have been affected.

#5 2017-01-06 16:43:32

ds
Founder / Developer

N.Ergo wrote:

The other way - from phone to PC - however does not work. Even though on the PC it shows the sync connection "bidirectionally active". What can I do?

First, verify that you actually created the contact in the correct address book (in some apps: "account"). GeneralSync can only sync contacts that are associated with a GeneralSync address book / "account".

If you did that, try changing a contact created on Thunderbird. Does the change appear on your PC? If it does, is your newly created contact still present on Android?

N.Ergo wrote:

It would be nice to see, if and when the sync process is working (rotating symbol or the like).

While GeneralSync sends/receives data to/from a given device, the "sync now" button is disabled in the dashboard's devices tab (PC) or in the device details (Android). You can also determine whether data has been successfully exchanged in the past by looking at the time of the last sync in the dashboard's devices tab (PC) or on the "sync now" row in the device details (Android). Failed attempts to send data will not update the time displayed there. I have to admit that these two indicators are not as pretty as a rotating symbol, but you can at least determine what's going on.

Regarding the change count: I don't think a change counter would be helpful in practice. GeneralSync does not have a single "sync" operation, but achieves the synchronization using multiple parallel operations between other devices, a central storage database and applications. This enables GeneralSync to be much more powerful than tools only syncing two endpoints, but there is no simple definition matching the intuition of "number of affected contacts" – at least I can't think of any.

#6 2017-01-06 17:46:47

N.Ergo

Thanks for the quick answer!

Your Explanation brought the solution, and now it seems to work.

What I had not seen is, that GeneralSync generates a new account on your phone, and that you have to make sure that new contacts have to be put into this account. I had not even noticed that you can choose an account when you generate a new contact on the phone - I thought every contact is put into the Huawei contact book. Now I know!

May I suggest something again? It would be helpful to have a step-by-step list of things to do, if you install GeneralSync. For dummies. The tool is nice, definitely, but for laymen like me the entry is not as easy as it might be.

#7 2017-01-07 21:18:44

ds
Founder / Developer

N.Ergo wrote:

It would be helpful to have a step-by-step list of things to do, if you install GeneralSync.

I agree with that. I'm currently working on a video tutorial guiding through the installation in a simple setup with two devices, so something like this will definitively come in the future. smile

Board footer